kids in the kitchen :: play dough!
2. it's worth it because it lasts a long time before drying out (no matter how well you store it) and it's a great texture. it's how play dough should be.
(okay, i guess for some who aren't into cooking, baking or creating in the kitchen it could be a little challenging to think of cooking a kid's toy.....but only a little.)
here's the recipe:
1 cup salt
2 cups water
4 tsp. cream of tartar
2 tbs. oil
assorted food coloring (i used oil-based as opposed to water--i find you get a richer color with this stuff)
1. bring water to a simmer in a medium pan. add salt to dissolve.
2. add cream of tartar, oil and flour.
3. cook over medium heat until mixture thickens to theconsistency of play dough.
4. after it has cooled, knead in the colors of your choice.
5. store in airtight containers so it doesn't dry out!