cookie carnival :: november round-up!
i loved these cookies. and i found there were 2 KEY elements to success with them:
1. GOOD chocolate. you need a high quality chunk. do not go sticking Nestle in here. they have no place.
2. take them out of the oven just a *bit* before you think they are totally done. if you over-do them you take away the moist, soft, pillow-like nature that they have when done just right.
we found that they went VERY fast. i think we had them around for 2 days. and we went thru a lotta milk in those 2 days, too! all in all - YUM.
The Ultimate Chewy and Soft Chocolate Chunk Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter at room temp
1 cup tightly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsps. pure vanilla extract
3 cups plus 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
16 oz. flavorful bitter or semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, or lightly butter them, and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, or stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, or a large bowl if mixing by hand, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.
2. Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together in a small bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the butter-sugar mixture, and mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
3. Using your hands, shape knobs of dough about the size of a large walnut and place them 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. Stagger the rows of cookies to ensure even baking. Bake 12-15 for smaller cookies, 14-17 for larger ones or until the tops are a light golden brown. If the cookies are neither firm nor dark when they are removed from the oven, they will cool chewy and soft. Cool the cookies on the sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely. If somehow they don't get inhaled immediately, they may be stored airtight at room temperature for up to one week.
i'm sorry to say that i just don't have the time this month to do a full commentary-style round-up and it's likely that i may not for december either. i'm full swing into crafting for holiday gifts and am chasing my tail a bit! so, i'm sorry for that, but i do want say a big THANK YOU to all of you who participated. you have made CC a success and i am greateful. . . also, i remind you to go and visit each other's blogs and see how everyone did with this challenge because there are some great posts out there.
participating in the November challenge (pics appear above the person who took them):
holly of Phemomenon. read her post here.
stephanie of Confessions of a City Eater. read her post here.
lynn of Bites and Pieces. read her post here.
brooke of Dessert First. read her post here.
temperance of High on the Hog. read her post here.
jules at Someone's in The Kitchen. read her post here.
jessica at Mango Missives. read her post here.
kerri at K&K's Baking. read her post here.
stacey of Simply Tasty. read her post here.
michelle of Culinography. read her post here.
tammy of Wee Treats by Tammy. read her post here.
april of Abby Sweets. read her post here.
jin of Smell and Taste are My Memory. read her post here.
natashya of Living in the Kitchen with Puppies. read her post here.
laura of This and That and a Whole Lot of Food made two attempts. read the first post here. and the second here.
megan of My Baking Adventures. read her post here.
arika of My Yummy Life. read her post here.
cristine of Cooking with Cristine. read her post here.
tami of Tami's Kitchen Table Talk. read her post here.
natalie of Snooky Doodle Cakes. read her post here.
amanda of Amanda's Cookin'. read her post here.
pamela of Cookies with Boys. read her post here. (no pic)
yi of Workout Then Cook. read her post here.
jacque of Daisy Lane Cakes. read her post here.
sara of My Sweetest Day. read her post here.
brittney of Adventures in Gluttony. read her post here. (no pic)
jen of Beantown Baker. read her post here.
mary ann of Meet Me In The Kitchen. read her post here.
sihan of Fundamentally Flawed. read her post here.